Global Tel Link (GTL) has been the subject of much scrutiny throughout the years because of their history of capitalizing and profiting heavily on the misfortunes of inmate's families and friends. Here is a petition requesting an investigation into their business practices:
We the undersigned are demanding an investigation of Global Tel Link, and their practices. We are also demanding that the Prison Systems dealing with Global Tel Link, cease doing business with them. They are in exclusive contracts with Prisons throughout the United States to provide phone service between inmates and their families. Inmates who make collect calls have no option but to use Global Tel Link. Their tactics put an unfair burden on families whose only contact may be through phone calls. Global Tel Link is well aware of this and takes advantage of inmate families, in order to make a profit. Although we have complained in the past, Global Tel Link continues to receive contracts from States with no repercussion. Global Tel Link’s business practices have deteriorated even more since, merging with MCI, a failed Telecommunications Company.
In the past Global Tel Link has:
1. Blocked phone calls from certain phone numbers, so that consumers are forced to set up a prepaid account.
2. Overcharged for accounts and not refund monies to customers.
3. Cut inmate calls short, but did not credit the customers account.
4. Had no live person to talk to when customers have complaints.
5. Provided no means for customers to file complaints.
6. Does not list an Administrative Headquarters, phone, nor email address.
7. Required customers to set up an account, even when their provider (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast), allows collect calls.
Thereby adding an unnecessary financial burden on customers.
Global Tel Link, has a monopoly on the prison phone market, and is making millions of dollars in contracts, customer accounts, and prepaid fees. We are asking the FCC, FTC, Consumer Affairs offices, and our State and Federal Representatives to investigate Global Tel Link, on our behalf. We are consumers, taxpayers, voters, and citizens who do not deserve this treatment.
Why have the states given exclusive contracts to Global Tel Link? We have a right to know why a Sweetheart deal was made with MCI/Global Tel Link. Why was MCI, allowed to merge with Global Tel Link? Why is it that customer complaints against Global Tel Link are ignored? Why was Global Tel Link recently given a contract to charge inmates families for collect phone calls to cell phones?
We demand an answer to these questions, an investigation of Global Tel Link, and any other phone company dealing with Collect Phone Calls between inmates & their families.